Foundations of Elementary Math 3
Fun with Geometry.
Chapter 10 Geometric Figures
§ 10.4 Symmetric Figures
- Reflection Symmetry or Line Symmetry
- Rotational Symmetry
- center of rotation
- angle of rotation
- Reflectional Symmetry for Space Figures
- Rotational Symmetry for Space Figures
- Relationships between reflection symmetries and rotational symmetries
Here we have 3 lines of symmetry and 120 degree rotational symmetry
Math Activity: Pattern Block Symmetries
Purpose: Explore lines of symmetry and rotational symmetry.
Materials: Pattern blocks, paper, color.
- Toy Theater Pattern Blocks, dragging feels real
- Math Learning Center Pattern Blocks, nice protractor
Directions: First, identify the symmetries of each pattern block, then use the pattern blocks to create various other symmetric figures.
Part 1: Identify the symmetries of each pattern block below. Draw sketches and/or write descriptions for each.
|Block||Lines of symmetry||rotational symmetry|
Part 2: Be more creative and create new figures from the pattern blocks.
|Figure and Name||Lines of symmetry||Rotational symmetry|